Goodell Hands Down Decision On Patriots

Turns out Roger Goodell handed down his ruling a day early. The NFL Commissioner fined Head Coach Bill Belichick (a.k.a Bill Beli-cheat and Bill Beli-check-the-tape) the maximum monetary fine in the league: $500,000. The Patriots organization will have to fork over $250,000.

They also lose a draft pick or picks. If they make the playoffs this year, they forfeit their first round pick in '08. If they don't make the playoffs, they will forfeit their second and third round picks. Belichick, however, will not be suspended nor will they have to forfeit their victory over the Jets.

My take...I would have at least suspended Belichick or stripped them of their victory. These guys swim in money, so I don't see how that's much punishment. Draft picks? Eh...about 1/3 of draft picks are a washout anyway...what's one pick to a team that's already loaded? However, I'm just a guy in the stands and I have no reason to doubt Goodell's judgement. The other factor to look at is how this plays in the court of public opinion.

I wonder when the Pats will be in Philadelphia...that should be fun.