Obama And Libya

I've been really out of the political loop lately what with moving to a new house and an increased work-load at my day job, so I'm not as attuned to the Libya situation as most bloggers out there. However, I did listen to President Obama's speech on the radio tonight and had these reactions:

1) I wish what he said were true. By that I mean I wish he believed everything he was saying, that America can't allow such carnage and won't allow it to stand. This however raises the question why Libya? I'm not saying we shouldn't be there. Maybe we should, but why Libya over Syria and Iran where atrocities are a daily occurrence?

2) I want President Obama to be strong on defense, but he seemed bound and determined to point out how this was an international effort while at the same time telling us Qaddafi's aggression can't be tolerated. In other words this was a speech geared toward 2012; the speech tried to appeal to the right and the left. That's okay, they all do that, but I'd like to know what his endgame is. Actually I do know: 2012.

Regardless, all of this is making us take our eye off the ball, i.e. Iran. If any of the GOP candidates in 2012 want to be taken seriously, Iran has to be a constant talking point.