Rick Santorum v. Individualism

A nice catch by Jim Hoft over at Gateway Pundit of some Santorum remarks to NPR in 2008:

This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues.

That is not how traditional conservatives view the world. There is no such society that I’m aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.”

Sorry folks, but that's a deal-breaker for me. Maybe other candidates I've voted for in the past felt the same way, but they were a lot better at hiding it. Santorum has been making in clear that he is an implacable enemy of libertarianism. That's his right but I'm not going to vote for it. No promises but if he is the nominee in November I might have to pull the lever for Gary Johnson. But like I say, a second Obama term would be so damaging I might have sell part of my libertarian soul.

What a freakin' mess.